Courtlandt Place Collection
Identifier: MSS 1130
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains material created during the Courtlandt Association's work for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places in the mid-1970s.
- Majority of material found within 1974-1979
This collection is open for research.
Courtlandt Place is one of Houston's oldest elite residential subdivisions. It is a privately owned, one-block-long, divided boulevard south of downtown. The Courtlandt Improvement Company purchased the land in 1906 in what was at that time prairie land on the outskirts of the city. The first houses were built in 1909. Access to the subdivision was limited by gates at the end of the street. Deed restrictions stipulated land use, minimum cost, and house size.
2 Linear Feet (Approximately 475 items, manuscripts and photographs)
Donated by Pierre and Lesley Schlumberger in May 1995
Processed by Charles Stephenson and Andrew Hempe, March 2000
- Description rules
Part of the Houston Metropolitan Research Center Repository