Skip to main content

J. F. Usener, Sr. and Jr. Papers

 Collection
Identifier: MSS 0007

Scope and Contents

Materials in this collection document the Usener's interest in a four acre parcel of land south of San Jacinto Bay near LaPorte, known as the old Prince Green tract. Materials date from 1927-1971 and range from legal documents and maps to newsletter clippings and photographs. These volumes and other material relating to the yacht basin, real estate, and the increasing industrialization of the area provide material for scholars researching recreational activities and the burgeoning industrial complex along Houston's ship channel.

Dates

  • 1927-1971

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

Use Restrictions

Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the J. F. Usener, Sr. and Jr. Papers must be obtained from the Houston Metropolitan Research Center or the appropriate copyright holder.

Historical Note

In 1927 Dr. John Fred Usener, a Houston dentist, brought a four acre parcel of land south of San Jacinto Bay near LaPorte, known as the old Prince Green tract. Prince E. Green, an elderly African American, had lived there a number of years prior to 1912 when he gained title to the property. Usener was interested in real estate development and in the 1930's, developed the Prince Green Yacht Basin and later the Barbour's Cut Cafe on the site. He encountered difficulties with the public, and also with C. A. Barbour who was dredging a channel to reach refinery terminals above Usener's property, plus the Seaboard Realty Company.

Dr. Usener died in 1969, and his niece, Mrs. Dorothy Eckels Justman, became executor of the estate. In compiling the necessary documents to settle the estate, Mrs. Justman assembled 3 volumes (in notebook form) of material ranging from legal documents and maps to newsletter clippings and photographs. These volumes and other material relating to the yacht basin, real estate, and the increasing industrialization of the area provide material for scholars researching recreational activities and the burgeoning industrial complex along Houston's ship channel. In the 1970s the Port of Houston developed a container port at LaPorte, giving substance to the dreams of the 1927 developers.

Extent

2 Linear Feet (2 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

The 3 volumes are indexed by the compiler and arranged both chronologically and topically, but are tabbed so the material is easy to locate. In addition, the loose material is in folders.

Acquisition Information

Donated by Mrs. Dorothy Justman, May 13, 1975

Processing Information

Processed by Margaret L. Henson, May 15, 1975
Title
J. F. Usener, Sr. and Jr. Papers
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Houston Metropolitan Research Center Repository

Contact:

(832) 393-1662

The African American Library at the Gregory School
1300 Victor Street
Houston, Texas 77019
832-393-1440
HPL.Gregoryschool@houstontx.gov
M Closed | T 10-6 | W 10-6 | Th 12-8 | F 10-5 | Sa 10-5 | Su Closed
Houston Metropolitan Research Center
Houston Public Library
550 McKinney St.
Houston, Texas 77002
M Closed T 10-6 W 10-6 Th 12-8 F 10-5 Sa 10-5 Su Closed
TXR.Reference@houstontx.gov
832-393-1662