Hardy Street Toll Road Controversy Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of files created by The Metropolitan Organization. The files are arranged topically by series. The physical organization has for the most part been kept.
- 1969-1983 1979-1983
- Majority of material found within 1979 - 1983
This collection is open for research.
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Hardy Tollroad Controversy must be obtained from the Houston Metropolitan Research Center or the appropriate copyright holder.
To alleviate traffic congestion on the north side of Houston, in 1980 the Texas Turnpike Authority developed a plan to build a toll road along Hardy Road. Residents of the neighborhoods through which the highway was to be built objected. They felt the highway would destroy their neighborhoods, increase air pollution, add to parking problems downtown, and would benefit only people commuting to downtown from the suburbs. Opposition to the toll road was led by The Metropolitan Organization, a multiethnic community organization made up of over 60 churches in the Houston area. Many of those opposed to the toll road plan instead favored the development of a mass transit system based on rail traffic. The Hardy Toll Road was authorized by Houston voters in 1983 and completed in 1988.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 document box; approximately 235 items.)
Language of Materials
Series 1 The Metropolitan Organization
Series 2 Reports
Series 3 Newspaper Clippings
Series 4 Ephemera
Donated by: Brian McCann, September 1983
Processed by: Andrew Hempe, April 2000
- Community organization -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political activists -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroads, Local and light -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Toll roads -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Traffic congestion -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hardy Street Toll Road Controversy Collection
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Houston Metropolitan Research Center Repository