Skip to main content

Our Lady of Guadalupe Church Collection

 Collection
Identifier: RG 1013

Scope and Contents

The documents in this collection are mainly of a narrative historical nature. They include manuscripts from individuals and collections of clippings and group interviews compiled in an attempt to chronicle the history of the church and its school. Also included are bulletins from various fiestas and masses. Although the documents do not provide a comprehensive history of the church and school (the documents addressing these entities having last been updated in 1984 and 1966, respectiely), they were produced by individuals closely connected to the church and thus provide a personal view of the parish and its influence on the surrounding area.

Dates

  • 1911-1987

Language of Materials

Some documents are in Spanish, some documents are in English, and a few materials are in Latin.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Our Lady of Guadalupe Church Collection must be obtained from the Houston Metropolitan Research Center or the appropriate copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

The Our Lady of Guadalupe Church was formed in 1912 on Navigation St. east of downtown. It grew into a large parish with a predominant Mexican American population, though there were also smaller groups of Vietnamese, black, and white members. The Our Lady of Guadalupe Parochial School was also built in 1912 as an important part of the church mission. According to documents within this collection, many founding members of the church had fled Mexico as a result of religious persecution, and spoke only Spanish. As a result, the church also made an effort to teach English to the parishoners while also encouraging Mexican cultural practices. These documents also reference a general poverty among members which created financial need within the church into the 1980s.

Extent

.25 Linear Feet (1 small box)

Arrangement

This collection is arranged into five folders by material type and subject matter: Fiesta Guadalupana Bulletins, "This is Our Story" draft, a document detailing the history of Our Lady of Guadalupe Parochial School, "Boletin Parroquial" publications, and copies of two manuscripts.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

"Material in this collection, as of March 1993, was moved from various boxes of MSS 0352, the Mexican American Small Collections. It was felt that there was enough material on Our Lady of Guadalupe to start a separate collection" - Inventory from 1993

Related Materials

MSS 1415 Robert R. Trevino's Catholic Oral History Research Project MSS 0352 Mexican American Small Collections

Processing Information

This collection was partially processed, but it was rehoused and the finding aid created by Natalia Kapacinskas in August 2018.
Title
Our Lady of Guadalupe Church Collection
Author
Natalia Kapacinskas
Date
August 2018
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English And Spanish

Repository Details

Part of the Houston Metropolitan Research Center Repository

Contact:

(832) 393-1662

The African American Library at the Gregory School
1300 Victor Street
Houston, Texas 77019
832-393-1440
HPL.Gregoryschool@houstontx.gov
M Closed | T 10-6 | W 10-6 | Th 12-8 | F 10-5 | Sa 10-5 | Su Closed
Houston Metropolitan Research Center
Houston Public Library
550 McKinney St.
Houston, Texas 77002
M Closed T 10-6 W 10-6 Th 12-8 F 10-5 Sa 10-5 Su Closed
TXR.Reference@houstontx.gov
832-393-1662