Roberto R. Trevino Catholic Oral History Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection is comprised of 7 audio interviews with parishioners, nuns and clergy concerning the history of some of Houston’s predominately Mexican-American Catholic parishes from the 1910s to the 1970s. These interviews were conducted for Trevino’s research when developing his book "The Church in the Barrio: Mexican American Ethno-Catholicism in Houston”. Specifically, Trevino interviewed Teresa Villagómez Zavala and Hope G. Jimenez, Joe E. and Raquel A Gonzales, Petra Guillen, Mary C. Villagomez, Sister Dolores Cardenas, Esther Garcia, and Bishop John E. McCarthy. Included in the collection are notes from the interviews taken by Trevino. The interviews have been digitized and are accompanied by indexed summarized interview segments.
- Event: 1910s-1970s
Language of Materials
Materials are in English and Spanish.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from The Roberto R. Treviño Catholic Oral History Project must be obtained from the Houston Metropolitan Research Center or the appropriate copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Roberto R. Treviño was an associate professor of History at the University of Texas Arlington. He specializes in Mexican American History, Religion in United States History, and History of Latino Religions. He received his Ph D. in United States History at Stanford University in 1993. He is the author of the 2006 book, "The Church in the Barrio: Mexican American Ethno-Catholicism in Houston". Since 1991 he has written a number of articles, book chapters, and reviews on the topics of Latinos, Religion in the U.S., Mexican Americans, and the immigrant experience.
Each interview is its own series that includes the audio interview and any supplemental material that is associated with it. Each interview has its own unique identifier.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Roberto R. Treviño in 2002.
- Catholic Church -- Texas -- History -- 20th Century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Church work with Mexican Americans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mexican Americans -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mexican Americans--Ethnic identity Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mexican Americans--Religion Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mexican Americans--Social life and customs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Roberto R. Trevino Catholic Oral History Collection
- In Progress
- Abra Schnur
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid is available in English and Spanish
Part of the Houston Metropolitan Research Center Repository