Skip to main content

The Woodlands Records

 Collection
Identifier: RG D 0003

Scope and Contents Note

The Woodlands Records were created by the Mitchell Energy Company for the purpose of recording the establishment of The Woodlands, Texas. The records are composed of newspaper clippings, news releases, and newsletters. The materials in the records are dated from 1973-1975. The records contain photocopies of clippings.

Dates

  • 1973-1975, Undated

Creator

Language of Materials Note

The records are in English.

Conditions Governing Use Note

Permission to publish or reproduce materials from The Woodlands Records must be obtained from the Houston Metropolitan Research Center or the appropriate copyright holder.

Historical Note

The Woodlands is a township in Montgomery County, Texas. The Woodlands is located 28 miles north of Houston along Interstate 45. The project to construct the town of The Woodlands was directed by The Woodlands Development Corporation, which was a subsidiary of the Mitchell Energy and Development Corporation. The project began in 1962 with the purchasing of land. Over the next decade, the corporation acquired 67,000 acres of land through 300 individual sale transactions. Of that land acquisition, 18,000 acres were a contingent tract of land. The contingent 18,000 acres was chosen for the site of the new The Woodlands town.

The Woodlands was designed to be an ecologically friendly town. The project emphasized the preservation of a portion of the land dedicated to trees and wildlife. The buildings and infrastructure of the town were placed among these strips of preserved land. The town was designed to be made-up of multiple residential villages. Each village is a community, having its own commercial centers. Construction on the first village began in 1973. It was the Village of Grogan’s Mill. The village had a hotel, a country club, an athletic center, industrial buildings, office buildings, a school, 50 apartments, 12 townhomes, and a 78,000 square-foot enclosed shopping mall called The Wharf.

The grand opening ceremony of The Woodlands was in October 19, 1974. Over 22,000 people attended the event. The event marked the opening for people to move into The Woodlands. The Mitchell Development Corporation of the Southwest, a subsidiary of the Mitchell Energy and Development Corporation, moved into the first office building known as One Timberloch Place. The Woodlands Records describe the events leading up to the establishment of The Woodlands township.

Extent

0.25 Linear Feet (1 box)

Arrangement Note

The Woodlands Records were organized by the Mitchell Energy Company. The records consist of three folders that are organized and arranged by material type. Each folder is arranged chronologically, both in ascending and descending order.

Immediate Source of Acquisition Note

Donated by the Mitchell Energy Company in 1975.

Processing Information

Processed by Kevin Gonzalez, August 2019
Status
Completed
Author
Kevin Gonzalez
Date
August 2019
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Houston Metropolitan Research Center Repository

Contact:

The African American Library at the Gregory School
1300 Victor Street
Houston, Texas 77019
832-393-1440
HPL.Gregoryschool@houstontx.gov
Houston Metropolitan Research Center
Houston Public Library
550 McKinney St.
Houston, Texas 77002
TXR.Reference@houstontx.gov
832-393-1662