Elbert Howze Collection
Scope and Contents
The Elbert Howze collection contains newspaper articles, photographs, drawings, and his “Fourth Ward” photography book. The contents of the collection primarily focuses on structures, people, and life in Fourth Ward Houston during the 1980s.
- 1975 - 1997
- Howze, Elbert, 1951-2015 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Drawings are fragile, researchers need archivist’s permission to view.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Elbert Howze Collection must be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Elbert D. Howze (1951-2015) was a Vietnam veteran and photographer most known for his photographs of Fourth Ward Houston. He was born in Detroit, Michigan on February 14, 1951. Mr. Howze joined the United States Army when he was eighteen and received two purple hearts. He came to Houston in 1973 and attended the University of Houston. While there he received a: BFA in Fine Art, a BS in Technology and Business Technology, and an MFA in Photography. Mr. Howze was a local Houston photographer who started taking photographs of Freedmen’s Town and its resident’s in 1985. In 1990, he was a Houston Center for Photography Fellowship winner. He was also associated with the Vietnam Veterans of America and was a member of the R O M E Os (Retired Old Men Eating Out).
3.6 Linear Feet (4)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged in three series by subject and material type. The printed materials are also arranged chronologically by date.
Series 1: Printed Materials
Series 2: Photographs
Series 3: Artwork
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by: The Houston Center for Photography, 2019
Processed by: Emmalee Miller
- African American photographers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Fourth Ward (Houston, Tex.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Howze, Elbert, 1951-2015 Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographers -- Texas -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs -- Social aspects Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photography -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Urban life and landscapes -- photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Houston Center for Photography (Organization)
- MSS 0171 Elbert Howze Collection
- An inventory of records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Emmalee Miller
- October 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- This project was made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services Museum Grants for African American History and Culture (AAHC-FY21).
Part of the African American History Research Center Repository