Skip to main content

MSS 0165 National and Texas Association of Women’s and Girl’s Club Inc.

 Collection
Identifier: MSS 0165

Content Description

This collection documents the histories of two different associations of colored women’s clubs from 1945 to 1983: the Texas Association of Women and Girls Clubs and the National Association of Colored Women's Clubs. Records include histories, constitution and bylaws, meeting minutes, reports, membership lists, newsletters, yearbooks clippings and speeches of the Texas Association of Women and Girls Clubs. Includes information on the Olivia Washington District and the Bachelor Girls’ Library Club and range from annual meetings to reports. Yearbooks for individual affiliate clubs are Houston City Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs, 1906 Art Literary and Charity Club. Also includes 3 photographs of former president Callie Pink.

In addition to state club records, the collection contains National Association of Colored Women's Clubs materials, which are limited to convention publications relating to the annual conventions between 1962-1983 including convention programs, meeting minutes, history, reports, National Notes, clippings and an audio recording. Also includes annual meetings documents from the Southwest Region of the National Association of Colored Women’s Club.

Dates

  • 1945-1983

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research. Access copies of audiovisual items will have to be created prior to use. Consult Archives staff in advance of your visit to ensure access to these materials is available.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish or reproduce materials from National and Texas Association of Women’s and Girl’s Club Inc. must be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

In response to the Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs (TACWC) exclusion of Black women from membership, the Texas Federation of Colored Women’s Club was founded in 1905 by M.E.Y. Moore in Gainsville, Texas. Formed as a voluntary service and education organization, it was umbrella organization of African American women’s clubs in Texas with the objective to improve the social and m oral life of people in Texas.

From 1916 to 1945 the TACWC aimed to have the state fund a home and training school for delinquent black girls. They raised $2000 for the down payment and in 1927 the legislature authorized the construction of the home. Funds were allocated in 1945 for the establishment of the Brady State School for Negro Girls. The school was later moved to Crockett. This property in San Antonio was later sold and Camp MCMullen was purchased in Johnson County. The TACWC became affiliated with the National Association of Colored Women’s Clubs. The name was changed in 1956 to the Texas Association of Women’s Clubs.

Source:

Taken from collection materials

Ruthe Winegarten, “Texas Association of Women's Clubs,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed February 09, 2021.

Extent

1 Linear Feet (1 box)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Collection is arranged in two series with Series 2 further arranged into subseries. The contents of each series are arranged hierarchically to reflect the organizational structure. Folder contents are arranged chronologically by date, with the exception of the affiliate member clubs which are arranged alphabetically by city.

Series 1: Texas Association of Women’s Clubs, 1945-1984

Series 2: National Association of Colored Women's Clubs, 1960-1984

Subseries 2.1 National Association of Colored Women's Clubs, Inc., 1960-1984

Subseries 2.1 Southwest Regional Association, 1961-1973

Custodial History

These records were formerly housed at the Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library as MSS 1300 National and Texas Association of Women's and Girl's Club Inc. and were transferred to the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library in May 2019.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated by Willie Lee Gay

Processing Information

Processed by Sheena Wilson, February 2021
Title
MSS 0165 National and Texas Association of Women’s and Girl’s Club Inc.
Subtitle
An inventory of records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library.
Status
Completed
Author
Sheena Wilson
Date
February 2021
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for uncoded script

Repository Details

Part of the Gregory School Repository

Contact:

The African American Library at the Gregory School
1300 Victor Street
Houston, Texas 77019
832-393-1440
HPL.Gregoryschool@houstontx.gov
Houston Metropolitan Research Center
Houston Public Library
550 McKinney St.
Houston, Texas 77002
TXR.Reference@houstontx.gov
832-393-1662