Dr. and Mrs. Charles E. Tatum Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of 11 published and unpublished books written by Velma Tatum and Charles Tatum f from 1984 through 2010. Most of the books focus on African American family history in Texas, Charles Tatum’s family history and life, with one about his experiences at Prairie View A&M University. It also includes the family histories of the Osby Family from Shelby County and the Dillingham, Hudgins, Royster and Taylor Families of Matagorda County and several books on the history of Shelby County.
- 1984 - 2010
- Tatum, Charles E. (Donor, Person)
Language of Materials
This collection is in English
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Dr. and Mrs. Charles E. Tatum Collection must be obtained from African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the African American Library at the Gregory School as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical / Historical
Charles Edward Tatum was a professor at for more than 50 years at Prairie View A&M University and Texas Southern University. Born in Center, Texas, he attended Daniels High School and later graduated with a B.A. and M.ED. from Prairie View College. He later taught in and was the chair for the Economics, Geography and Social Sciences department. Charles Tatum also earned degrees from Indiana University, and a Ph. D. from Michigan State University.
Dr. Tatum’s taught and lectured in the U.S. and abroad as well as worked in public schools and university administration. Tatum served as a Fulbright Scholar at International Christian University in Tokyo, Japan, and an Asian Studies Fellow at the University of Hawaii.
1 Linear Feet (2)
This collection is arranged by format.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by: Charles Tatum, April 2013
Processed by: Sheena Wilson, November 2018.
- African American educators Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Family histories -- Texas Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military -- United States Army Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prairie View (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prarie View A&M University Subject Source: Local sources
- Tatum, Charles E.
- Texas -- East Texas Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Texas -- Matagorda County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Texas -- Shelby County Subject Source: Local sources
- Texas Southern University Subject Source: Local sources
- Tokyo, Japan Subject Source: Local sources
- MSS 0103 Dr. and Mrs. Charles E. Tatum Collection
- An Inventory of Records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Sheena Wilson
- November 9, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Gregory School Repository