Barbara Joe Ellison Collection
Scope and Contents
The Barbara Joe Jones Ellison Collection houses the personal paper of Barbara Joe Ellsion. This collection, which dates from 1974 to 2007, contains a Houston Police Department yearbook, funeral program, and newsletter. This small colelction give a glimple into the life of black women in the police field.
- 1974 - 2007
Language of Materials
All materials are in English.
This collection is open for research.
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Barbara Joe Jones Ellison Collection must be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.
Barbara Joe Jones Ellison was the second African American women police officer of the Houston Police Department. She was born April 14, 1937, to James Elige Jones and Catherine A. Gibson Jones in Freestone County, Texas. She attended schools in Freestone County and graduated in 1953 from Dogan High School of Fairfield, Texas. She went on to Texas Southern University and received a Bachelors Degree in Education in 1957.
Her first job upon graduation was Payroll Administrator at TSU. In 1959, she enrolled in the Houston Police Academy. She graduated from Class # 22 and held the distinction of being the second African American female police officer to serve the city of Houston. In a career that spanned 31 years and 4 mayoral administrations, Barbara worked in the Juvenile Division of the Houston Police Department. She was also a charter member of the Afro American Police Officers League, founded in 1975. She retired from the Houston Police Department after a long and distinguished career in June, 1991. In retirement, she stayed active and kept in touch with colleagues and actively participated in the Retired Police Officers Association until her death on November 17, 2007. She is survived by a daughter, one sister, and a host of friends and relatives.
.25 Linear Feet (1)
The collection is arranged by subject and material type.
Donated by: Stephanie Emmers, January 2010
Processed by: Vince Lee, April 2010
- African American Intellectuals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African American businesspeople Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African American women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Elections -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Barbara Joe Ellison Collection
- An Inventory of her Records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Vince Lee
- April 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the African American History Research Center Repository