Johnnie Hart Brooks Collection
Scope and Content Note
The Johnnie Hart Brooks collection contains personal records of Johnnie Hart Brooks childhood and career. This collection, which dates form 1909 to 1993, contains correspondence, photographs from Brooks’ childhood, teaching career, family life, award ceremonies, and a retirement banquet. Several news clippings note her achievements. Artifacts included personal effects BrooksSeveral items provide detailed view of her family.
- 1909 - 1993
- Majority of material found within 1963 - 1983
Language of Materials
All materials are in English.
This collection is open for research.
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Johnnie Hart Brooks Collection must be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.
Johnnie Hart Brooks was a teacher and the last princiapl of Gregory Elementary School in Houston, Texas. She was born on November 22, 1912 in the fourth ward of Houston. Brooks had a sister, Irma Hart Allen and a brother Robert Hart.
Brooks attended the Gregory Elementary School, “Old Colored High” (Booker T. Washington), Fisk University, and Texas Southern University. She graduated from TSU Summa Cum Laude. She completed post-graduate work at the University of Texas. Brooks taught at “Old Colored High” (Booker T. Washington), Harper Elementary, Crawford Elementary, and at Texas Southern University. During her career she worked as principal of Brays Bayou, Highland Heights, and Franklin Elementary School.
In addition to being a well serving member of St. Episcopal Church, Brooks received many awards for her accomplishments. Channel 13 News awarded her with the Jefferson Medal for outstanding community service for her work with children of all demographics.
3.2 Linear Feet (3)
Donated by: Betty Taylor Thompson (daughter)
Processed by: Brittany Cryer, Vince Lee, January 2011
- African American educators Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African American women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Booker T. Washington High School Subject Source: Local sources
- Channel 13 News Subject Source: Local sources
- Education -- Texas Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gregory Elementary School Subject Source: Local sources
- St. James Episcopal Church -- Houston, Texas Subject Source: Local sources
- Texas Southern University Subject Source: Local sources
- Johnnie Hart Brooks Collection
- An Inventory of his Records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Brittany Cryer and Vince Lee
- January, 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the African American History Research Center Repository