Skip to main content

Texas Southern University Collection

 Collection
Identifier: RG 0003

Scope and Contents

The Texas Southern University Collection consists of publications of the university. This collection, which dates from 1956 to 1995 includes annual reports, general catalog bulletins, reports, and newspapers published by the university and its students.

Dates

  • 1956 - 1995

Language of Materials

This collection is primarily in english.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Texas Southern University Collection must be obtained from African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

In February of 1946, Herman Marion Sweatt, an African American Houston mail carrier, applied for enrollment at the University of Texas School of Law. Because Texas was one of the segregated states, Sweatt was denied admission and later filed suit against the University of Texas and the State of Texas with the support of the NAACP. In response, believing the separate but equal doctrine would prevail, the Texas Legislature passed Senate Bill 140 on March 3, 1947, providing for the establishment of a Negro law school in Houston and the creation of a university to surround it. This bill was complemented by House Bill 788, which approved $2,000,000 to purchase a site near Houston to house this new college and support its operation. On June 14, 1947, the decision was made to use the site of Houston College for Negroes, with its new campus at the center of a large and fast growing black population. Thus, a new law school for Negroes of Texas and Texas State University for Negroes was born. Under the separate but equal concept, the intention of Senate Bill 140 and House Bill 788 was to create a new university for Negroes in Houston that would become the equivalent of the University of Texas in Austin.

On June 1, 1951, the name of this new university for Negroes was changed from Texas State University for Negroes to Texas Southern University after students petitioned the state legislature to remove the phrase "for Negroes." When the university opened its doors in September 1947, it had 2,300 students, two schools, one division and one college: the Law School, the Pharmacy School, the Vocational Division, and the College of Arts and Sciences. Biographical Note

Texas Southern University is one of the nation’s largest historically black colleges and universities. It is located in historic Third Ward in Houston, Texas. Today, Texas Southern University offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs in the following academic colleges and schools: the College of Liberal Arts and Behavioral Sciences; the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences; the College of Science and Technology; the College of Education; the Barbara Jordan-Mickey Leland School of Public Affairs; the School of Communication; the Thurgood Marshall School of Law; the Jesse H. Jones School of Business; the Thomas Freeman Honors College; the College of Continuing Education and the Graduate School. Other programmatic emphases are found in the Center for Excellence in Urban Education, the Center for Transportation Training and Research, the Center on the Family and a variety of special programs and projects.

Currently, Texas Southern University is staffed by approximately 1,000 faculty members and support personnel. More than 9,500 students, representing ethnically and culturally diverse backgrounds, are currently enrolled at the university.

Extent

1 Linear Feet (2 boxes)

Arrangement

This collection has series. Where appropriate the records have been arranged chronologically and by material type.

Series I Annual Reports

Series II Publications

Series III Newspapers

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated by: Houston Metropolitan Research Center

Related Materials

MSS 0009 Willie Blackmon Collection

MSS 0025 Carl Walker Jr. Collection

Processing Information

Processed by: Vince Lee, March 2010
Title
RG 0003 Texas Southern University Collection
Subtitle
An Inventory of Records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
Status
Completed
Author
Vince Lee
Date
March 2010
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Gregory School Repository

Contact:

The African American Library at the Gregory School
1300 Victor Street
Houston, Texas 77019
832-393-1440
HPL.Gregoryschool@houstontx.gov
Houston Metropolitan Research Center
Houston Public Library
550 McKinney St.
Houston, Texas 77002
TXR.Reference@houstontx.gov
832-393-1662