African American Heritage Museum of Houston Collection
Scope and Contents
The African American Heritage Museum of Houston Collection is comprised of programs, brochures, photographs, and slides that document their inaugural opening on September 1, 1988.
- 1988 - 1989
This collection is open for research.
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the African American Heritage Museum of Houston Collection must be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder. Please ask reference staff for information and assistance on the possibility of photo duplication and any associated fees. The library reserves the right to restrict duplication.
The African American Heritage Museum of Houston’s inaugural opening occurred on September 1, 1988. The museum was founded by Dr. Robert E. Galloway. The museum served as a repository for showcasing a collection of works from the permanent student collection of Texas Southern University, as well as documenting the artistic and cultural history of African American artists from the South and Southwest.
The goals of the African American Heritage Museum of Houston were to provide a link between the present and the past cultural heritage of African Americans and to provide for the general public, of all ages, an educational resource for the research and study of the artistic contributions of African American artists. The Museum was also a center for training minority students in the field of museum work through internships and apprenticeships in museum education, conservation, registration, and curation of exhibits.
There is no further evidence to suggest that the institution is still in existence. The archivist has been told via several sources that the institution is now defunct, but the date and reason is still unknown.
0.54 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by material type.
Donated by the African American Heritage Museum of Houston.
Processed by: Vince Lee, July 2010
Modified by: Miguell Ceasar, August 2013
Edited by: Billy Glasco, Jr., August 2013
- African American artists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Historic preservation—Texas—Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Texas Southern University Subject Source: Local sources
- RG 0007 African American Heritage Museum of Houston Collection
- An Inventory of Records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Gregory School Repository