Skip to main content

African American Library at the Gregory School

 Collection
Identifier: RG 0008

Scope and Contents

The Records of the Gregory School Project contains records, plans, meetings, reports, and correspondence that documents the collaborative process of the City of Houston, the Mayor’s Office, the Houston Public Library, architects, contractors, and the surrounding community in their efforts to completely restore the building into the African American Library at the Gregory School.

Dates

  • 1994 - 2009

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish or reproduce materials from Records of the Gregory School Project must be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder. Please ask reference staff for information and assistance on the possibility of photo duplication and any associated fees. The library reserves the right to restrict duplication.

Biographical / Historical

The Gregory Elementary School was built in 1926 during a period of urban growth and increased school enrollment in Houston. Architects Hedrick & Gottlieb designed the school. The Gregory School is a cultural institution of citywide importance. It is the successor to the first public educational institution for African Americans in Houston, Gregory Institute, established in 1870 and occupies the historic site of its predecessor. The school is associated with the history of education for African Americans in Houston, the history of the African American community in Fourth Ward during the 30 year period from 1926 to 1956, and within the broad context of racial segregation in the U.S. and its role in the formation of African American urban culture.

Gregory Elementary School is a protected city landmark, a State Archaeological Landmark, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing property in the Freedmen’s Town Historic District. Vacant since 1981, the City of Houston purchased the Gregory School in 2003.

The Gregory School Project contains records, plans, meetings, reports, and correspondence that documents the collaborative process of the City of Houston, the Mayor’s Office, the Houston Public Library, architects, contractors, and the surrounding community in their efforts to completely restore the building into the African American Library at the Gregory School, the premier facility for research and programs about the history of African Americans in Houston and the surrounding region.

Extent

1.3 Linear Feet (3)

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Minnette Boesel (City of Houston, Mayor’s office), January 2010

Processing Information

Processed by: Vince Lee, July 2010
Title
RG 0008 African American Library at the Gregory School Collection
Subtitle
An Inventory of Records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Gregory School Repository

Contact:

The African American Library at the Gregory School
1300 Victor Street
Houston, Texas 77019
832-393-1440
HPL.Gregoryschool@houstontx.gov
M Closed | T 10-6 | W 10-6 | Th 12-8 | F 10-5 | Sa 10-5 | Su Closed
Houston Metropolitan Research Center
Houston Public Library
550 McKinney St.
Houston, Texas 77002
M Closed T 10-6 W 10-6 Th 12-8 F 10-5 Sa 10-5 Su Closed
TXR.Reference@houstontx.gov
832-393-1662