Reverend Elias and Beatrice Burnett Collection
Scope and Contents
The Reverend Elias and Beatrice Burnett Collection contains materials related to Richard G. Lockett. This small collection which dates from 1964 to 1966, consists of a Parade of Arts Program from the Richard G. Lockett Junior High School. The Parade of Arts program is a 52-page booklet that documents the events of May 17, 1964. There were many performances from groups such as the Glee Club, the band, the Dance Ensemble, an all girls’ choir and featured military tap dance from the Osbornettes. The souvenir booklet also features the faculty, staff, class photos, sports and cheerleaders, social clubs and advertisements from local businesses. It also has pages 3 and 4 printed front and back of the Lockett Legion Newsletter, from Febuary, 1966.
Language of Materials
All materials are in English.
This collection is open for research.
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Reverend Elias and Beatrice Burnett Collection must be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.
Richard G. Lockett was an African-American educator who helped found the public library in Houston for African Americans. Richard Lockett was born in Houston in 1882. He graduated from Atlanta University in 1905, and returned to Houston where he taught in and later coached at the Colored High School for Blacks. Because Blacks were not allowed to use Houston’s public libraries, he along with Walter L. D. Johnson, Sr. and Leonard Spivey (all of whom would later become Omega men) championed and succeeded in the establishment of Houston’s Colored Carnegie Library which opened in 1913. In 1926, he was also involved in the establishment of and a charter member of the Houston Affiliate of the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Texas, Free and Accepted Masons. Brother Lockett continued teaching and R.G. Lockett Junior High School, was named after him in 1959.
Lockett Junior High School was an African-American school located at 303 West Dallas, Houston, TX. The school was named after Richard G. Lockett who was an African-American educator born in Houston, TX, in the year of 1882. Along with fellow teacher and administrator Ernest Ollington Smith, Lockett was instrumental in founding a public library in Houston for African-Americans. Lockett died in 1945. The school named after him opened in 1959 in the old Booker T. Washington High School building at 303 West Dallas, Houston, TX and closed nine years later in June, 1968.
0.25 Linear Feet (1)
This collection is arranged in one series.
Series I: Printed Materials
Donated by: Bracy E. Burnett, MNarch 2010
Processed by: Miguell Ceasar
- African Americans -- Education -- Texas-Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston -- teachers Subject Source: Local sources
- African Americans – History -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- MSS 0034 Reverend Elias and Beatrice Burnett Collection
- An Inventory of their records at the African American Library at Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Miguell Ceasar
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Gregory School Repository