O.J. and Bessie Thomas Papers
Identifier: MSS 0166
Scope and Contents
The O. J. and Bessie Thomas Collection is comprised of documents reflecting primarily the education and achievements of Bessie Thomas and Oscar John Thomas. There is correspondence, awards, photographs and published materials. Many of the records are related to their years at Prairie View Agricultural and Mechanical University.
- 1894 to 1977 1960 to 1969
- Majority of material found within 1960 - 1969
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the O. J. and Bessie Thomas Collection must be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.
Bessie Aleda Hardaway Thomas was born and raised in Cameron, Texas. She graduated from Prairie View A & M in 1923. Following her graduation she taught homemaking at Cameron Colored School. Bessie Thomas and her husband Oscar John Thomas brought young women of color to Cameron and graciously housed them; permitting the women to complete high school and attend Prarie View A & M for college. In her later years Bessie Thomas worked as Principal for Prairie View Elementary School. Her community advocacy included organizing Cameron's Federated Women's Club, the Prairie View First Methodist Church (1972) and the local Girl Scouts troop.
.25 Linear Feet (1 document box)
Language of Materials
The O.J. and Bessie Thomas Collection is comprised of five series. The series are organized by subject or format.
- Series 1: Oscar John Thomas
- Series 2: Bessie Thomas
- Series 3: Correspondence
- Series 4: Published Materials
- Series 5: Photographs
These records were formerly housed at the Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library as MSS 1309 O.J. and Bessie Thomas Collection and were transferred to the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library in April 2019.
Donated by: Mrs. Willie Lee Gay, July 30, 1998.
- African American women -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans -- Education -- Texas-Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cameron (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Civic leaders Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Community leadership Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prairie View (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prairie View A & M University
- Prarie View A&M University Subject Source: Local sources
- MSS 0166 O.J. and Bessie Thomas Papers
- An inventory of records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.