Dr. Benjamin Covington Family Papers and Photographs
Identifier: MSS 0170
This collection is open for research.
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Dr. Benjamin Covington Family Papers and Photographs must be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.
Benjamin Covington was a prominent black physician who practiced in Houston from 1903 until his death in 1961. Dr. Covington and his wife, Jennie, attended Guadalupe College in Seguin, Texas, where they met and eventually married. He received his medical degree from Meharry Medical College in 1900. The Covingtons played active roles in organizing a number of charitable organizations, including an African-American branch of the YMCA and the Houston Settlement Association, and were longtime members of the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church. Dr. Covington helped found the Houston Negro Hospital, which later became Riverside General. The Covington famiy played host to many distinguished black Americans, including the singer Marian Anderson and Booker T. Washington. The Covington's daughter, Jessie, an accomplished pianist, attended Oberlin college in the 1930s and later the Juilliard School of Music. She married Dr. Albert W. Dent, President of Dillard University in New Orleans.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Processed by Suzanne Summers, 1990. Revised by Matt Richardson, February 2019
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Antioch Missionary Baptist Church (Houston, Tex.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Dent, Jessie Covington
- Physicians -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) Subject Source: Local sources
- Dr. Benjamin Covington Family Papers and Photographs
- An inventory of records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Matt Richardson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Gregory School Repository