Vanita E. Crawford Antioch Baptist Church Collection
Identifier: MSS 0134
Scope and Contents
This collection, donated by Mrs. Crawford, provides researchers with a good cross-section of historical materials, including correspondence, photographs, press clippings and organizational records which will be of special value to those with an interest in black history, as well as women's history and the history of religion in Houston.
Mrs. Vanita Crawford, born in Washington, Texas, in 1900, moved to Houston in 1911 and became a member of the city's oldest surviving black church, Antioch Baptist, two years later. In the decades that followed, she was a leader in many church activities, most importantly as the President of the Mission Society from the 1940s until the 1960s. She was also active in the Band organizations of the church, whose membership was initially limited to women, but later opened to men, as well. Band members visited those who were infirm or ill, ran sewing classes, provided food and clothing to those in need, and in general tried to be helpmates to people who required assistance. At the same time as Mrs. Crawford gave unstintingly of her time to the church, she earned her livelihood as a caterer, while her husband, R.H. Crawford, worked for over 50 years as an employee of the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
1 Linear Feet (2 Document boxes)
Language of Materials
The first box of material in this collection is composed of documents which are arranged chronologically according to type, as indicated on the following Container List. The second box contains photographs, most of which are fully identified as to date, place, and contents.
These records were formerly housed at the Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library as MSS 0192: The Vanita E. Crawford Antioch Baptist Church Collection and were transferred to the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library in 2019.
Donated by Vanita E. Crawford
Processed by Howard Beeth, July 21, 1982
- African American churches -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African American women -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Antioch Baptist Church (Houston, Tex.)
- Churches, Baptist -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Local sources
- Women in church work -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- MSS 0134 The Vanita E. Crawford Antioch Baptist Church Collection
- An inventory of records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Processed by Howard Beeth
- July 21, 1982
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- finding aid revision date not supplied: March 30, 2004, Proofread and revised by Andrew Hempe August 2003; Edited with XMetal 3 by Susan Lindberg, according to instructions in TARO 2 EAD 2002 Editing Instructions