African American Miscellaneous Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection gathered from many sources, is composed of an assortment of material having to do with the history of Black Houstonians and Texans. Some of the items into were donated to the research center individually, while other were part of a larger body of donated materials that bore no direct historical relation. Thus except for the it singular focus on Black Americans, this collection is truly miscellaneous. Some of the major topics are local churches, politics and campaign materials, businesses, Juneteenth, poetry and art.
- Majority of material found in 1940-1987
- Houston History Research Center (Organization)
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the African American Miscellaneous Collection must be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.
3.83 Linear Feet (5 boxes, 1 oversized box)
Language of Materials
This collection is not organized in the usual fashion by either topic or chronology. Instead, the items individual documents and small manuscript collections are arranged according to their availablity to the research center. This is an open, growing collection.
These records were formerly housed at the Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library as MSS 0210 Afro-American Miscellaneous Collection and were transferred to the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library in February 2019.
Processed by Howard Beeth, 1982; Updated by Sheena Wilson, 2019.
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- African Americans – History -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Houston (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- MSS 0135 African American Miscellaneous Collection
- An Inventory of Records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Additions To Incorporate
- Sheena Wilson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the African American History Research Center Repository