C. F. Smith Collection
Identifier: MSS 0172
Scope and Contents
This collection contains a selection of materials that document some of C. F. Smith’s professional activities. The collection is not comprehensive, but it does provide a glimpse into his life from 1950 to 1981.
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from C.F. Smith Collection must be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.
C. F. Smith grew up in Houston’s Fifth Ward. He attended Tuskegee Institute in Alabama, where in 1938 he received a Bachelor’s degree in Commercial Industries with an emphasis in electrical engineering. After a brief period during which he was the first black movie projectionist in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, Smith served in the Navy Seabees. He returned to Houston after his discharge from the service, and in 1943 became the first African American to pass the City of Houston Electrician’s exam. In 1945, Smith opened his business, the C. F. Smith Electric Co. In addition to his business, Smith has been involved in various community organizations, from the Boy Scouts to the Houston chapter of the Associated Builders & Contractors. He was an active member of Tuskegee Institute alumni groups.
1 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Arranged by subject then, chronically by date when relevant.
These records were formerly housed at the Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library as MSS 249 C.F. Smith Family Collection and was transferred to the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library in February 2019.
Donated by: Patricia Prather, 1984.
Processed by: Andrew Hempe, November 1999.
- African American business enterprises Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fifth Ward (Houston, Tex.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Labor unions -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Open and closed shop Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Right to labor Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Smith, C.F., Jr. (Clifford Farrell), 1916–1989
- MSS 0172 C. F. Smith Collection
- An Inventory of Records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Gregory School Repository