Rev. M. L. Price Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists primarily of the papers of Rev. Moses L. Price and those of the organizations with which he was affiliate during the 1920s to 1980s. Materials consist of correspondence, sermons, writings, biographical text, records that reflect some activities of Greater Zion Missionary Baptist Church, clippings, phonographic records, and photographs. It contains an incomplete run of the (Houston) Globe Advocate from 1970-1984.
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Rev. M. L. Price Collection must be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.
Rev. Price, himself the son of a pastor, was born in 1909 near Bryan, Texas, in Brazos County. He graduated from Samuel Huston College in Austin in 1933 and subsequently earned a graduate degree from Houston College for Negroes
Rev. Price entered the ministry in 1930 and remained a clergyman until his death in 1984. He pastored Greater Zion Missionary Baptist Church for over forty-five years. During that time he served as First Vice-President of the National Baptist Convention of America, President of the Missionary Baptist General Convention of Texas, and Moderator of the Lincoln District Association.
In addition to his church affiliations, Rev. Price was an active member of the Y.M.C.A. and the N.A.A.C.P. He was also a member of the board of directors of the Eliza Johnson Home for Aged Negroes, Riverside National Bank, Standard Savings & Loan Association, Bishop College, and Texas Southern University. Rev. Price also belonged to Phi Beta Sigma fraternity, the American Woodmen, and the Prince Hall Masons.
2.75 Linear Feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by topic, and the material pertaining to each topic is arranged chronologically.
- Personal Materials
- Colleges and Universities
- Press and Publicity
- (Houston) Globe Advocate
These records were formerly housed at the Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library as MSS 277 M.L. Price Papers and were transferred to the African America Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library in May 2019.
Donated by Gwendola Crawford Price
Processed by Howard Beeth, 1985
- African American churches -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African American clergy -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clergy -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- MSS 0146 Rev. M. L. Price Collection
- An Inventory of Records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Gregory School Repository