Judson Robinson Sr. Family Collection
Scope and Contents
The Judson Robinson Sr. Family Collection consists mostly of photographs and a few newsclippings documenting activities of the Y.M.C.A. during the 1950's and into the 1970's.
- Robinson, Judson Sr. 1904-1986 (Person)
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Judson Robinson Sr. Family Collection must be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.
Judson Wilber Robinson, Sr. (1904-1986) was a Black real estate agent in Houston and father of the first Black city councilman in Houston since Reconstruction, Judson Robinson, Jr.
Judson Sr. was a businessman, and civic leader in Houston, who graduated from Prairie View State Normal and Industrial College in 1926. He worked on the Southern Pacific and was president of the Railroad Sleeping Car Porters and Waiters Union. He established the first African American mortgage company, Judson W. Robinson & Sons Real Estate and Mortgage Company in Texas, which was approved by the Federal Housing Administration in 1962. He established the National Real Estate Association and was the first African American appointed to the Houston Housing Authority Board to manage Kelly Courts and Cuney Homes. Robinson Sr. held many leadership positions including being a founding member of the Houston Area Urban League, Houston Citizens Chamber of Commerce director, board member of Y.M.C.A., director at Trinity East United Methodist Church and as chairman of Precinct 259 in Pleasantville.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Collection is arranged by material type.
These records were formerly housed at the Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library as MSS 0316 and were transferred to the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library in February] 2019.
Processed by: Suzanne Summers, 1990.
- African American civic leaders Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Real estate agents -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Robinson, Judson Sr. 1904-1986
- YMCA Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian associations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- MSS 0143 Judson Robinson Sr. Family Collection
- An inventory of his records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Gregory School Repository