Prairie View A&M Photograph Collection
Identifier: RG 0056
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of black and white photographs dating from approximately 1910-1940, as well as supplmental materials incluing a handbook from Prairie View A&M University and papers from the Retired Teacher's Association.
- 1910 - 1940
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Prairie View A&M Photographsmust be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.
Prairie View A&M University was established in 1876,forming during the Reconstruction Period following the Civil War. The university is the second oldest public institution in the state of Texas and was established in response to the founding of the Agriculture and Mechanical College of Texas (Texas A&M University), to provide a seperate school for African Americans. In 1878, eight African American men became the first students to enroll in the school, also becoming the first of their race to enroll in a state-supported college in Texas. Following an expansion project, the college created a four-year academic program, and in 1937 a graduate program was developed offering masters degrees in agricultural economics, rural education, agricultural education, school administration, and supervision, and rural sociology. Today Prarie View A&M University offers baccalaureate degrees in 50 academic majors, 37 masters degree tracks, and four doctoral degree programs.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 document box, 1 negative box)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by material type.
These records were formerly housed at the Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library as RG 0004 Prairie View A&M Photo Collection and were transferred to the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library in 2019.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Willie Lee Gay, 1998
Processed by: Laney McAdow, 2009
- African Americans -- Texas -- Prairie View Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans—Texas—Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College teachers – United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prairie View A & M University
- RG 0056 Prairie View A&M Photograph Collection
- An inventory of records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Gregory School Repository