Martha C. Whiting (Yates Granddaughter) and Antioch Missionary Baptist Church
The Martha C. Whiting Antioch Baptist Church Collection contains materials collected by Martha as a member of the church. Materials date from 1902-2006 with most materials covering 1976-2006. Includes financial reports, meeting minutes, letters, memos, event programs, funeral programs, books, various Yates family bibles, ephemera, photographs, church history, and newsletters.
- Majority of material found in 1976-2006
- Whiting, Martha Countee 1912-2012 (Person)
Language of Materials
This collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Martha C. Whiting (Yates Granddaughter) and Antioch Missionary Baptist Church Collection must be obtained from African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Martha Countee Whiting was the grandaughter of Reverend Jack Yates of Antioch Baptist Church. She Was a teacher in the Houston Independent School District for thirty years until 1973. After her retirement Martha's focus to preserve and teach Houston's African American History. She served on the Board of Directors for the Heritage Society. After Jack yates Home was relocated from Andrews street in Freedmans town to Sam Houston Park, Martha gave tours of the home for ten years. She married Samuel Whiting.
2.25 Linear Feet (4)
This collection is arranged in six series by function and format. Church Records and History are further arranged into subseries. Leadership records were arranged at the time of donation, chronologically by date. This arrangement was continued by the archivists; funeral programs materials are arranged alphabetically by last name.
Series I Church Records and History
*Subseries Church History
*Subseries Meeting Minutes and Agendas
Series II Financial Records and Reports
Series III Building and Legal Records
Series IV Printed Materials
Series V Photographs
Series VI Books
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donoated by the Estate of Martha Whiting, 2015
Processed by Sheena Wilson, November 2018
- Antioch Baptist Church (Houston, Tex.)
- Baker, Benjamin S. (Benjamin Stanley)
- Churches – Houston (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Churches, Baptist -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Local sources
- Fourth Ward (Houston, Tex.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Hicks, H. Beecher
- Johnson, Nathan 1955-
- Westbrook, John Hill 1947–1983
- Williams, Michael Patrick 1951-
- MSS 0090 Martha C. Whiting (Yates Granddaughter) and Antioch Missionary Baptist Church
- An Inventory of her Records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Sheena Wilson
- November 27, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the African American History Research Center Repository