Skip to main content

RG 0028 Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church

 Collection
Identifier: RG 0028

Content Description

The Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church Collection documents the activities of the church from 1937 to 2014, with most materials from the pastorship of Danny Davis. This collection contains the church history, annual reports, insurance statements, financial receipts, invoices and some financial correspondence. Also includes weekly bulletins, worships programs, event programs, the church newsletters, news clippings, photographs, ephemera and yearbook.

Dates

  • 1937-2014

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church Collection must be obtained from African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

Reverend W. Navigan, an itinerate preacher, called a meeting of Christian men and women in a two-room shotgun house on Pierce and St. Charles Street, in Third Ward in 1879. This meeting resulted in the creation of the Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church with Lorenzo Williams as the first associate pastor, with Gilbert Green, Moses Merritt and George Washington as the first deacons.Rev. Navigan purchased a lot for the church at 2017 Dowling with his own “means” and he led the church until his passing in 1881.

Williams served as pastor for two years and was succeeded by Reverend Jordan R. Lofton who served until 1931. The church received its first Official State Charter, for fifty years, under Lofton’s leadership. A new building was created at Dowling Street, and was subsequently destroy during the Galveston Hurricane of 1900. The church records were destroyed, yet two cornerstones from the previous church were recovered and later placed beneath the 1953 cornerstone of the church built at Anita Street. Lofton was one of the founders of the Independent Missionary Baptist Association in Texas and helped start first usher board. Failing health forced Lofton to retire, and leadership passed to Reverend William A. Joshua of Victoria, Texas. Joshua was a teacher, builder and organizer who added a baptistery and bell to the church building during his ten-year tenure.

William Hayward Bank came to pastor in 1942 growing the church exponentially. Membership grew from 200 members to 1,500 members, a junior usher board a boy scout troop were formed, and the church was renovated. With the increase in membership, a larger church was needed so a lot was purchased at Live Oak and Anita Street. In 1952 A new church was building was constructed and later additional land was purchased for parking, recreational use and an education building. In 1969 after 26 years of service Banks resigned. Murphy Preston the sixth pastor, continued to increase the property holdings, held the burning of the church mortgage and the centennial celebration in 1979. After his death in 1986 his son Jesse Jones served as interim pastor.

David Roberts served as the seventh pastor, and increased interest in the Tuesday night Prayer meeting and bible studies with attendance rising from 35 to 160 people. The church property holds once again grew to accommodate parking. Two women Joyce Hill and Dorothy Randle were called to the ministry. Roberts resigned as pastor in 1992 and Rev. D. Roberts served as interim pastor.

Danny Davis was installed as the eighth pastor with his accomplishments including Souls Have Been Saved, Membership Drive (1500), Creation of 11:30 Bible Study on Tuesday, Adoption of Families and Christian Young Men in Action and Phase I and Phase II renovation projects. Jordan Grove Missionary church was recognized as a State of Texas Historical Landmark and received its official marker in 2001.

Taken from collection materials

Extent

1 Linear Feet (2)

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in six series. The Church Records and Printed Materials series are arranged chronologically by date.

Series I: History

Series II: Church Records

Series III: Printed Materials

Series IV: Photographs

Series VI: Memorabila

Series VII: Books

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated by Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 2013

Related Materials

RG 0010 Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church RG 0021 Mount Pleasant Baptist Church RG 0025 Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church RG 0032 Antioch Baptist Church

Processing Information

Processed by Sheena Wilson, December 2018
Title
RG 0028 Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church
Subtitle
An inventory of records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
Status
Completed
Author
Sheena Wilson
Date
December 6, 2018
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Finding Aid Written In English

Repository Details

Part of the Gregory School Repository

Contact:

The African American Library at the Gregory School
1300 Victor Street
Houston, Texas 77019
832-393-1440
HPL.Gregoryschool@houstontx.gov
M Closed | T 10-6 | W 10-6 | Th 12-8 | F 10-5 | Sa 10-5 | Su Closed
Houston Metropolitan Research Center
Houston Public Library
550 McKinney St.
Houston, Texas 77002
M Closed T 10-6 W 10-6 Th 12-8 F 10-5 Sa 10-5 Su Closed
TXR.Reference@houstontx.gov
832-393-1662