Elbert Terry Family Collection 1930s-1960s
Identifier: MSS 0140
The collection is comprised of black and white photographs of African Americans that date from 1933 through 1976. Photographs include the Terry family, along with relatives and friends in Terry's Grocery Market, the Pentecostal Missionary Baptist Church, the Terry family residence, Jack Yates High School, Harris County Court House, and several residential and community areas in Sunnyside. The collection includes photo identification sheets of descriptions of photographs.
- 1933 - 1976
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Elbert Terry Family Collection must be obtained from the African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Elbert Terry was a developer of Houston’s first all-black suburban community, Sunnyside which is located south of downtown. He was a civic leader in the NAACP and president of the Sunnyside Civic Club. Elbert and Girthia Terry were long time members of the Pentacostal Missionary Baptist Church, where Girthia taught vacation bible classes. Elbert owned Terry’s Grocery and Market. Robert Terry (Elbert’s and Girthia’s son) attended Jack Yates and Wiley College and was employed with the U.S. Postal Service. Marvin Earl Terry (Elbert’s and Girthia’s son) attended Jack Yates High School and Mary Ellen College. Girthia’s parents were Henry Elmore Lillie and Annie Lillie who resided in Houston. Clara Jackson was Elbert Terry’s mother.
.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Series I: Photographs
These records were formerly housed at the Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library as MSS 0226 Elbert Terry Family collection and were transferred to the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library in March 2019.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Dopnated by Girthia Terry, 1982
Processed by Sheena Wilson, 2019
- African American business enterprises Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Churches – Houston (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dwellings Subject Source: Lsch
- Jack Yates High School (Houston, Tex.)
- Sunnyside - Houston (Tex.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Terry Family
- Terry, Elbert
- MSS 0140 Elbert Terry Family Collection 1930s-1960s
- An Inventory of Records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script