Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Identifier: MSS 0137
Content Description This collection is composed of mostly photographic images having to do with African Americans in the Houston area from 1896 to 1968. Some of the items were donated individually, and the donor and record of ownership is unknown. Except for its singular focus on images of African Americans this collection is miscellaneous. Several of the photographs are of Jack Johnson, the first African American world heavyweight boxing champion and a Juneteenth Parade float. Some images are tintypes of...
Identifier: MSS 0157
Dates: 1970 - 1990; Majority of material found within 1977 - 1987
Identifier: MSS 0171
Scope and Contents The Elbert Howze collection contains newspaper articles, photographs, drawings, and his “Fourth Ward” photography book. The contents of the collection primarily focuses on structures, people, and life in Fourth Ward Houston during the 1980s.
Dates: 1975 - 1997
Identifier: MSS 0156
Content Description The Francis Page, Sr. collection contains b/w and color images from his personal collection during the 1980s. Many are of him and his guests during his fiftieth birthday celebration. A few capture his work in newspaper publishing or are of family members. Photograph identification sheets are available for images 1-94.
Identifier: MSS 0145
Scope and Contents This collection contains the written and photographic records of a family of Black Houstonians who were active in civic affairs from the 1930s to the 1980s. Materials document their involvment in several social clubs and in civic clubs with meeting minutes and correspondence for Fidelity Park Civic Club and Clinton Park Civic Club. Also includes several phonographic records. Both the photographic and documentary portions of the collection will be of interest to those researching the cultural...
Dates: 1930's-early 1980's
Identifier: MSS 0143
Scope and Contents The Judson Robinson Sr. Family Collection consists mostly of photographs and a few newsclippings documenting activities of the Y.M.C.A. during the 1950's and into the 1970's.
Identifier: RG 0068
Scope and Contents The Matthew W. Dogan Elementary collection span the years from 1949-1995, with the bulk of materials dating from 1949-1961. The collection features the dedication and opening of Matthew W. Dogan Elementary School and the operations under the first principal Mabel Kilpatrick. Scrapbooks illustrate the exterior and interior campus progress since 1959 and the faculty.
Dates: 1949-1995; Majority of material found in 1950-1961
Identifier: MSS 0132
Scope and Contents The collection consists of 118 photographs offering a visual portrait of several generations of a family of black Houstonians from the late nineteenth to the mid-twentieth century. It includes images of family members at home, school, work, and play. Many of the photographs are set in the vicinity of the family home at 3401 Ennis Street in Houston’s Third Ward, although a few are from California, Kansas City, France, and elsewhere. Chester Thompson, Sr., Leona Rasmus Thompson, Chester Thompson,...
Dates: 1890s-1960s; Majority of material found within 1918-1947
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston 5
- African American families -- Texas -- Houston 2
- African American civic leaders 1
- African American journalists 1
- African American men -- Texas -- Houston 1
- African American photographers 1
- African Americans -- Texas -- Biography 1
- African Americans—Texas—Houston 1
- Fourth Ward (Houston, Tex.) 1
- Houston (Tex.) 1
- Houston (Tex.) -- 20th century 1
- Howze, Elbert, 1951-2015 1
- Music -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Photographers -- Texas -- 20th century 1
- Photographs -- Social aspects 1
- Photography -- United States -- History -- 20th century 1
- Public Schools -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Real estate agents -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Sound Recordings -- Texas -- Houston 1 ∧ less
- Page, Francis, Sr., 1938-2002 2
- Diana, Fallis 1
- Houston Center for Photography 1
- Howze, Elbert, 1951-2015 1
- Johnson, Jack, 1878-1946 1