Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
The Barbara Joe Jones Ellison Collection houses the personal paper of Barbara Joe Ellsion. This collection, which dates from 1974 to 2007, contains a Houston Police Department yearbook, funeral program, and newsletter. This small colelction give a glimple into the life of black women in the police field.
The Christia V. Adair Collection is comprised of newsclippings, photographs, programs, correspondence, publications, artifacts, and textiles from 1894 to 1985 which she had accumulated during her life. Many of the materials document her family history, her career in civil rights and suffrage for women, and also personal items that had special meaning to her.
The Oyra Chyra Gibbs collection contains papers collected as a part of the community outreach program. This small collection, which dates from 1953 to 2003, contains biographies on Barbara Jordan, black cowboys, and black women in the west. It also contains newspaper clippings on African Americans in Houston. This collection is relevant to the black women in Texas and the black life in Houston.
The Records of the Southern Conference on African American Studies, Inc. contains back issues of the journal, The Griot: The Journal of African American Studies, from 1980 through the Spring 2009 edition. The journal contains papers and articles presented at the annual meetings that center on black history and culture that originated in or affected the South.
- African American women 3
- African American leadership 2
- African American scholars 2
- African Americans 2
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston 2
- Academic writing 1
- African American businesspeople 1
- African American women -- History -- 20th century 1
- African American women -- Texas -- Houston 1
- African Americans – History -- United States 1
- Elections -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Franklin Beauty School, Inc. 1
- Jordan, Barbara, 1936-1996 1
- Publications 1
- Texas Southern University 1 ∧ less