Showing Collections: 1 - 11 of 11
The collection houses the personal papers of C.F. Smith and Eve Hortense Smith. This collection, which dates from 1922 to 2008, consists of printed materials, photos, news clippings, personal ephemera, and awards related to their life. These materials provide a glimpse into their early lives together and Smith family history.
This collection contains a selection of materials that document some of C. F. Smith’s professional activities. The collection is not comprehensive, but it does provide a glimpse into his life from 1950 to 1981.
The collection is comprised of black and white photographs of African Americans that date from 1933 through 1976. Photographs include the Terry family, along with relatives and friends in Terry's Grocery Market, the Pentecostal Missionary Baptist Church, the Terry family residence, Jack Yates High School, Harris County Court House, and several residential and community areas in Sunnyside. The collection includes photo identification sheets of descriptions of photographs.
The Elmore and Mae P. Randle Collection consists of a photograph of Randles' Unisex Salon in Fifth Ward Houston and a poem about Elmore Randle.
This collection consists of 229 black and white photographs and biographical materials. Photographs depict the Taylor family and home life in Houston, Boley, Oklahoma and Hot Springs, Arkansas from 1914 to 1997. This collection provides a glimpse into black family life and during the early 20th century. Most images are related to James and Josie’s life in Houston, but several are of Hilliard’s success after migration.
Reens Beauty Salon Collection contains business flyers for products and services and a photo of the owner Odie Reen Fowler. This small collection provides a look at the hair trends and styles in Houston during the late 1970s to the early 1990s.
- Subject: African American business enterprises X
- African American businesspeople 5
- African American families -- Texas -- Houston 3
- African American men -- Texas -- Houston 3
- African American beauty operators -- United States 2
- African American women -- History -- 20th century 2
- African American women -- Texas -- Houston 2
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston 2
- African American leadership 1
- African American physicians 1
- African American psychologists 1
- African Americans -- Texas 1
- Beauty culture -- Study and teaching -- Texas -- 20th century 1
- Beauty shops 1
- Businessmen -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Churches – Houston (Tex.) 1
- Dwellings 1
- Fifth Ward (Houston, Tex.) 1
- Franklin Beauty School, Inc. 1
- Franklin, Nobia Anita, 1880-1934. 1 + ∧ less
- Fowler, Odie Reen 1
- Jack Yates High School (Houston, Tex.) 1
- Reen's Beauty Salon 1
- Rollins Jewelry 1
- Smith, C.F., Jr. (Clifford Farrell), 1916–1989 1