Showing Collections: 1 - 30 of 39
The A.E. Warner collection covers mostly his career in sales and various other ventures from 1935-1984. Materials within the collection include an autobiography, business organization papers, copies of sales awards, correspondence, state employment agency licenses, newspaper clippings, photographs, and a sales tax permit.
The African American Heritage Museum of Houston Collection is comprised of programs, brochures, photographs, and slides that document their inaugural opening on September 1, 1988.
The collection contains artwork created by Alkebu Motapa and includes photographs, letter-sized copies of posters, post cards and posters duplicated on T-shirts. Contains some original artwork, most are reproductions. The remaining items include an application for an Individual Artist Grant, audiotapes, a civil rights lawsuit, a compact disc, correspondence, newspaper clippings, tee shirts, and videotape. His work show cases community relations affecting the Black community.
This collection consists of biographical information on Anna Johnson Dupree and Clarence A. Dupree, as well as information on the Eliza Johnson Home, Camp Robinhood, the children’s orphanage, and the African American Community Council of Houston. The collection also includes newspaper clippings and photographs.
The Barbara Jordan collection contains materials that highlights the life and legacy of Jordan’s work and political career. This collection, which dates from 1963 to 2011, consists of photographs, programs, newspaper clippings, flyers and various souvenir and memorabilia materials.
The Charles A. Ingram Collection contains gives a glimpse into the activities of Bradley Jackson from 1969-2003. Materials are mostly textual and contains biographical materials, reproduction photographs of Jackson, autographed vinyl record and a variety of printed resources which included flyers, community brochures, and geographic and community maps related to the Acres Homes neighborhood.
The Dr. Gladys Forde houses the papers of Gladys Inez Forde. This collection, which dates from 1932 to 2008, includes newsclippings, obituaries for family and friends, funeral programs, publications related to blacks and politics in Texas, and family photographs.
The Elbert Howze collection contains newspaper articles, photographs, drawings, and his “Fourth Ward” photography book. The contents of the collection primarily focuses on structures, people, and life in Fourth Ward Houston during the 1980s.
The collection is comprised of black and white photographs of African Americans that date from 1933 through 1976. Photographs include the Terry family, along with relatives and friends in Terry's Grocery Market, the Pentecostal Missionary Baptist Church, the Terry family residence, Jack Yates High School, Harris County Court House, and several residential and community areas in Sunnyside. The collection includes photo identification sheets of descriptions of photographs.
The Francis Page, Sr. collection contains b/w and color images from his personal collection during the 1980s. Many are of him and his guests during his fiftieth birthday celebration. A few capture his work in newspaper publishing or are of family members. Photograph identification sheets are available for images 1-94.
The Freedmen’s Town Association Collection contains documents and published materials pertaining to the efforts of the Freedmen’s Town Association in preserving the Fourth Ward from 1983 to 1986.
This small collection contains information on the life of Jubal L. Taylor, a Houston resident and employee of the railway mail service in the 1930s. The collection contains news clippings, land records, and various family materials including a WWI draft card.
The Judson Robinson Sr. Family Collection consists mostly of photographs and a few newsclippings documenting activities of the Y.M.C.A. during the 1950's and into the 1970's.
The Oyra Chyra Gibbs collection contains papers collected as a part of the community outreach program. This small collection, which dates from 1953 to 2003, contains biographies on Barbara Jordan, black cowboys, and black women in the west. It also contains newspaper clippings on African Americans in Houston. This collection is relevant to the black women in Texas and the black life in Houston.
The collection consists of black and white photographs dating from approximately 1910-1940, as well as supplmental materials incluing a handbook from Prairie View A&M University and papers from the Retired Teacher's Association.
This collection consists primarily of the papers of Rev. Moses L. Price and those of the organizations with which he was affiliate during the 1920s to 1980s. Materials consist of correspondence, sermons, writings, biographical text, records that reflect some activities of Greater Zion Missionary Baptist Church, clippings, phonographic records, and photographs. It contains an incomplete run of the (Houston) Globe Advocate from 1970-1984.
- Subject: African Americans -- Texas -- Houston X
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston 26
- African Americans—Texas—Houston 11
- photographs 6
- African American men -- Texas -- Houston 5
- African American businesspeople 4
- African American women 4
- African American educators 3
- Fourth Ward (Houston, Tex.) 3
- African American Intellectuals 2
- African American artists 2
- African American business enterprises 2
- African American churches -- Texas -- Houston 2
- African American families -- Texas -- Houston 2
- African American families—Texas 2
- African American women -- Texas -- Houston 2
- African Americans 2
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston -- teachers 2
- African Americans – History -- United States 2
- Education -- Texas -- Houston 2
- Historic preservation—Texas—Houston 2 + ∧ less
- Robinson, Judson Sr. 1904-1986 2
- Antioch Baptist Church (Houston, Tex.) 1
- Boy Scouts of America 1
- Carverdale School (Fairbanks, Texas) 1
- Covington, B. J. (Benjamin Jesse), 1869-1961 1
- Covington, Jennie B., d. 1966 1
- Dent, Jessie Covington 1
- Dupree, Anna Johnson, 1891-1977 1
- Forde, Gladys, Dr., 1920-2014 1
- Hardy, Anderson 1
- Harrison, Edwin Stafford, 1912-1979 1
- Houston Center for Photography 1
- Houston History Research Center 1
- Howze, Elbert, 1951-2015 1
- Jack Yates High School (Houston, Tex.) 1
- Jackson, Bradley, Jr. 1
- Johnson, Jack, 1878-1946 1
- Jordan, Barbara, 1936-1996 1
- Joseph H. Crawford Elementary Parent Teacher Association 1
- Lee, La Faye Johnson, 1946-2016 1 + ∧ less