Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Identifier: MSS 0142
Scope and Contents The C. W. Rice Family & Negro Labor News Collection contains Mr. Rice's personal and professional correspondence as well as some of his financial records and photographs. Some significant topics represented in these files are black employment and labor activities and local communist activities. Additionally, it contains the most complete run of the Negro Labor News newspaper known to exist. Materials are dated from 1919 to 1976 with the majority of the items from the 1940s to the...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1934-1976; 1919-1976
Identifier: MSS 0172
Scope and Contents
This collection contains a selection of materials that document some of C. F. Smith’s professional activities. The collection is not comprehensive, but it does provide a glimpse into his life from 1950 to 1981.
Identifier: RG A 0005
Scope and Contents This collection covers a range of activities at Houston Municipal Airport, later Hobby Airport, from 1937-1981. There are also files on the concept and development of Houston Intercontinental Airport, which was intended to replace Houston Municipal Airport. Topics covered range from dealings with airlines to counts of landings, departures and passenger flow to accident reports. Materials in this collection are primarily correspondence and inter-office correspondence, and include annual...
Identifier: MSS 0063
Scope and Contents The Gilbert Mers Papers contains newspaper publications and clippings, correspondence, minutes, and miscellaneous handbills and propaganda concerning labor activities and the union career of Gilbert Mers, dating from 1936 through 1969. The collection's primary emphasis, however, is on publications dating from 1936-1939 concerning union organizations such as the Sailors Union of the Pacific (S.U.P.), Progressive Sea-going Firemen, International Longshoremen's Association (I.L.A.), and the...
Identifier: MSS 0092
Scope and Contents
Identifier: RG 0064
Scope and Contents The materials in this collection describe major events in the history of the Independent Metalworker's Union, a Houston organized labor entity. Specifically, numerous contracts and wage agreements between the Union and Hughes Tool Company, the workers of which the Union represented, give a historical view of the relationship between the Union, its members, and Hughes Tool Co. Additionally, petitions and copies of cases given before the National Labor Relations Board give insight into racial...
Dates: 1937-1981; Majority of material found within 1947-1968
Identifier: MSS 1308
Scope and Contents The initial donation of this collection primarily contains correspondence between Pauline Oliveros and her mother, Edith Gutierrez. It also contains some family photos and documents related to the founding of the Pauline Oliveros Foundation. The addition donated by Pauline Oliveros contains numerous performance flyers and programs, news clippings, personal writings, and some published musical scores. There are photos and documents regarding her grandparents, John M. Gribbin, a lawyer and...
Dates: 1864-2002; Majority of material found in 1905-2000
Identifier: RG D 0019
Dates: 1942-1965; Majority of material found within 1942-1951; Majority of material found within 1956-1958
Identifier: RG E 0055
Scope and Contents This collection contains meeting minutes, correspondence, newsletters, clippings, bulletins, and journals discussing the philosophies and work of the Socialist Workers Party on a local and international scale. Because the authors of these materials often feared being exposed as Communists during the Cold War, some items are purposly deceptive and include a key to decode the writings. Some materials contain false titles, such as the Journal of Science Fiction “Dick Tracy” articles (Box 2...
Dates: 1951-1978; Majority of material found within 1972-1976
- Subject: Labor unions -- Texas X
- Houston History Research Center 6
- African American History Research Center 3
- Labor unions -- Texas -- Houston 6
- Labor unions -- Texas 2
- Advertising -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Aeronautics, Commercial -- Freight -- Texas -- Houston 1
- African American business enterprises 1
- African American businesspeople 1
- African Americans -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Airline security personnel -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Airport Operators Council (Houston, Tex.) 1
- Airport authorities -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Airport buildings -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Airport drainage -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Airport noise -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Airport police -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Airport zoning -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Airports -- Communication Systems -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Airports -- Employees -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Airports -- Landscape architecture -- Texas -- Houston 1
- Airports -- Texas -- Houston 1
- American Association of Airport Executives. Texas Chapter 1 + ∧ less
- Spanish; Castilian 1
- Gribbin, John M. 1
- Hughes Tool Company 1
- Independent Metal Workers Union 1
- Rice, C. W. (Claudius William), 1897-1973 1
- Smith, C.F., Jr. (Clifford Farrell), 1916–1989 1
- Viglini Gribbin, Pauline 1 + ∧ less